Monday, January 3, 2011

My Day with Two Babies

No I am not babysitting. Lyndsey has been potty trained for about 4 months. I potty trained her when she was almost 2 1/2 and Alyssa was almost 6 months. She did great and it was super easy. She almost never had accidents and she told me when she needed to go.

In the last week she has had more accidents than she has had the whole time she has been potty trained. I know regression is normal but I don't like it.

Today she pooped and peed in her underwear for the 3rd day in a row. That is more than she had EVER done it before. As I was changing her she said the same thing she has been saying every day after she poops in her underwear, "Just like Alyssa!"

I came at her with a harsher tone than normal explaining that big girls go in the toliet and babies go in a diaper. I then asked, "do you want to be a big girl or a baby?"
"A baby," was her immediate response.

I reminded her like it says in her favorite Big Sister book, that big girls can "Walk and talk, play with toys, and eat pizza and apples and ice cream."

I asked again, "so, do you want to be a big girl or a baby?"
"a baby."

So I decided to let her be a baby. I put a diaper on her and told her she is not allowed to walk, only crawl. I fed her carrot baby food for lunch. I took away all her big girl toys and she is playing with baby toys. I even let her sit in Alyssa's bouncer while I folded laundry. Every time she wanted to do something she would normally do, I told her, "babies can't do that." And she would say with a big smile on her face, "I'm a baby." I held her and cuddled her and gave her a sippy cup with milk. I rocked her and sang rock-abye-baby.


My child whose favorite phrase is "Lyndsey do it," the girl who throws a fit if I turn the light on instead of letting her go to her room, get her stool and come back to do it herself; let me carry her to her room and put her down to sleep in the porta crib she hasn't slept in since before she turned 2.



I plan on continuing this, Bread And Jam For Frances, style until she decides she wants to be a big girl again.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

  1. haha that's crazy! I love your attitude about what I would consider a very frustrating situation. Hopefully she gets bored playing baby soon and goes back to being a big girl so you can have less work!

    ReplyDelete